Abdominal bloating refers to a sensation of fullness or a sense of abdominal enlargement or tightness. Bloating may have several causes, the most common being accumulation of liquids and intestinal gas.
Common Causes of Bloating
- Overeating - You eat too much! stop eating before you are about to feel full.
- Air swallowing (Aerophagia) - If you swallow large amounts of air, your bowel has trouble absorbing or removing it all from the body fast enough.
- Food Intolerance - also known as food sensitivity caused by the absence of specific chemicals or enzymes needed to digest a food substance.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrom - This is a common disorder where patients have alternating episodes of constipation and diarrhoea.
- Gas Producing Foods
- Digestion Problems
These treatment is not only for Bloating, but also may help who suffers with Gas and Burping.
- Drink a lot of water! at least 8 glasses of water for each and everyday. Oh ya, don't drink carbonated drinks!!!
- Eat slowly!! and chew your food thoroughly until it is as small as possible. Avoid gulping food or beverages. When you rush through meals or eat on the run, you are more likely to swallow air.
- Avoid chewing gum or eating hard candy.
- Do not smoke or use other tobacco products.
- Gradually increase the amount of fibre-rich foods you eat such as fruits, vegetables, wholegrain cereals and bread, wholewheat pasta, brown rice and beans. These high-fibre foods also have the added benefit of preventing hunger from kicking in, which is important if you want to lose weight.
- Avoid these food for a while, these are gas inducing foods: beans, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, sprouts, onions and garlic.
- Simple things such as talking while eating, using a straw or sports bottle, chewing gum, eating when you’re on the move, drinking from a water fountain and eating when you’re upset should be avoided or controlled, this can cause swallow of air.
Certain herbs can have extraordinary effects on the digestive process by improving absorption.
- Amritdhara - ayurvedic herbal preparation that is very effective in relieving excess flatulence, stomach gas, stomach pains and abdominal bloating.
- Chamomile - Drinking Chamomile Tea has been done for centuries as a gentle relaxant to calm the nervous system, sooth gastrointestinal disorders, and ease menstrual cramps. Often taken before bedtime for relaxation.
- Peppermint - Drinking Peppermint Tea relaxes the muscles that allow the body to rid itself of painful digestive gas. It also helps to cure other illnesses such as Menstrual Cramps, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Kidney Stones, Tension Headache, Colds and Flu and Itching and Skin Irritations.